Wednesday 15 April 2009

Target Audience

I am going to create a music magazine that is going to be distributed to the world. Seen as though this is a new idea, I will need to create a target audience, based on who I think would buy this magazine and why. Once I have found my audience, I will then need to make my magazine worthy of being distributed to this market.

Age Range

This magazine will have a set age range which will be advertised to. The articles and bands covered will need to be thought about so they fit in with the desired target age.
The age range for my music magazine, I have decided, is going to be 14-30. I have chosen this range because I believe that between this age range are the people who still go to music festivals and are still heavily involved in music. Because of this I will need to include modern day language and nothing too over-complicated otherwise I may lose the interest of the readers. I believe that my target audience will be looking for information on bands, however I also feel that they would require light-hearted things and therefore I would need to include a few comic questions or light-hearted pages.

Gender

Gender is an important thing to think about when deciding a target audience. Males and females respond to different things and therefore they may react differently to photos used or to the wording in articles. I feel that I would be able to create a magazine for both males and females, and this is by including articles that would appeal to both. There would be bands or artists that would be listened to by both genders and therefore this is how I would overcome this possible problem.

Musical Influence

In this modern day, there are new genres of music being created. I will need to think of the vast assortment of different genres and hopefully stick to one or two of them and make the focus of my magazine mainly on these specified genres. I have decided that my main article (double page spread) is going to be about a young soloist who plays guitar. I feel that there is plenty of room for this particular genre as I feel that there are plenty of successful soloists out there at the moment. I believe that both male and female people can listen to and enjoy this type of music and therefore this genre will broaden my target audience. I also think that with the sharp rise of alternative music being produced and listened to, then I should also be focusing on the alternative genre.

Having thought about different aspects required in a magazine, I have come out with a basic target audience; this being:
  • Age : 14-30 year olds
  • Gender : Both male and female
  • Genre : Focus mainly on indie soloists and alternative music

No comments: