Friday 12 September 2008

Target Audience

For my preliminary task we are doing a school magazine, and therefore there are three main targets, these being:
  1. Pupils of the school
  2. Parents of the pupils
  3. Prospective students or families interested in the school

With these three target audiences in mind, the magazine should fill out certain relevant criteria. For instance, if the magazine has photoshopped images of a boy's face with a horse's body then that would not be fit for the parents or the prospective parents. Also, if the main stories were about politics and discussions, then chances are that it would not be suitable for the pupils, and so these are the things that magazine editors need to think about when creating magazines.

The magazine editor will need to analyse their niche audience, for example mine are the 3 above. If I were an editor of a sports magazine then I would look for sporty people based on the sport the magazine chooses, and this would be my target audience.

Target Audience CW

For this task, I have been told to complete a music magazine, with no specific genre. Firstly, I will need to choose which genre of music I will be turning into a magazine. I will do this with the help of questionnaires and surveys which will help me determine the source of my magazine and what it will contain, both image-wise and text-wise. I feel that by using questionnaires I will be able to get the most relevant results for my criteria as I aim to acknowledge all ages and demographics in this magazine, or at least I will attempt to reach out to the majority of people.

I will need to decide which age range my magazine is for, what features it will cover in the the double page spread (most likely to be an interview with the person / band on the front cover) and what the layout of the magazine will be. With all of these things in mind I hope to accomplish a well-constructed media based magazine which has relevant knowledge of the musical scene and also relevant to the target audience.

Likewise with my preliminary task, I will need the same things, and this will ensure that I get the wider demograph and therefore create a grander interest in my media product. It will be difficult to include all genres in my magazine, for example hard rock and classical music as these are clashing genres with not a lot in common, and therefore I cannot contradict myself when creating this magazine, otherwise my fan base and target audience will rapidly decrease.

No comments: